When we talk about psychedelic, the first thing that comes into our minds is retro, the 60s and 70s music, jamming or tripping or drugs. These things are associated with the term psychedelic. This how we perceive psychedelic.
Indeed, psychedelic has been associated with "high" or being "dope" especially in the 60s or 70s. Many known celebrities or personalities use psychedelic drugs especially when they write songs, create music, or even creating art. Sounds interesting right? So you might ask, how to make psychedelic art?
Many artists were made famous by psychedelic art. But psychedelic art as been around for a long time already. It existed even before the discovery of psychedelic rock started in the music scene. In this article, we will learn how to make psychedelic art and turn the magic into a masterpiece.
What is Psychedelic?
It is but normal to get to know the root of psychedelic art, where it came from, or the things associated with it. Psychedelic came from the Latin word “psyche” which means “the mind” and “Delos” which means “to manifest” so it means “to awaken the mind”. It is characterized by distortion of perception and awareness and also hallucinations. Psychedelics also refers to drugs that can produce such effects.
What is the Psychedelic Art?
A psychedelic is also a form of art. It is a style that is influenced by hallucinogen drugs such as LSD. The designs feature abstract swirls, attractive colors, and calligraphy. It is intricate and detailed is contains many colors. The topic is wide and comes from different influences, form optical illusions to romanticism, to surrealism. Psychedelic art embraces a wide spectrum of a topic, draw certain emotions, and more importantly, it is a medium of expression of spirit.
It is also common knowledge that “psychedelic art” emerged during the 1960s. During that time, psychedelic art was the strong counterpart to psychedelic music. Psychedelic art was everywhere. They can be seen in music posters, comic books, concert posters, music album covers, underground newspapers, and more. Psychedelic art has become a means to express emotions, idealism, political, social, and spiritual sentiments.
Important Elements of Psychedelic Art
Psychedelic art was born and became very popular during the 1960s when psychedelic drugs were also popular. Psychedelic art was popular because of its colorful appearances, strong subjects, and themes. Psychedelic art became a means of self-expression against the war, feminism, human rights, legalization of the use of recreational drugs, and more. Psychedelic arts are known for the following features:
- Free-for of shape and geometric shape.
- Stylistic lettering or calligraphy.
- Extensive range of subjects.
- Meaningful themes.
- Contains a spectrum of bright and rainbow colors.
- Spiritual concept.
- Fluorescent pains.
How to Make Psychedelic Art?
Excited to make your psychedelic art? Making psychedelic art can be fun and rewarding. Either you are using a drawing pad or technologically advanced tools, it doesn’t matter. The main point of creating a psychedelic art is to include all the elements needed.
- Basic Psychedelic Art. Get your drawing pen and pad and start drawing shapes. You can start with elongated shapes and bubbles. They can wrap around each other but make sure that you leave small boarders in between. Start to color the shapes and the objects you draw. After that, you can add straight lines. You can make a colorful rainbow to provide additional visuals.
- The Kaleidoscope – of course, the kaleidoscope is a great way to draw because of its multiple cuts and image. You may copy the image that you see on your drawing pad and start creating your psychedelic art. You can place them all together and apply catchy colors and add messages that you want to convey.
- Geometric Figures – one of the most common ways of creating psychedelic art is by using geometric shapes or figures. It is easy. You can randomly use any geometric figures and draw them on your pad. Depending on how you feel, the important thing is that you will be able to express your idea or vision and show it on your artwork. You can combine the figures, color them, and then scribble your message. Using geometric forms is one of the easiest ay on creating a psychedelic art.
- Music and Artists – During the 1960s, musicians particularly rock stars were really popular and they are considered icons. Most psychedelic art also features them. You can pick among your favorite rock start. This might require advanced drawing skills especially that you are drawing a face. Say, you have chosen one rock star, start drawing his image on your canvass paper or a piece of paper. As soon as you have done that, you can now add on images that your art like shapes, doodle some lines or add some colors. It all depends on what do you want to communicate with the canvass that you created.
- Freestyle – get your drawing tools and start doodling everything that you have in your mind. Express your thoughts and emotions. Make it as a means to communicate. Draw shapes, lines, figures, or whatever you desire. Color the shapes and the lines as desired. You can use bright colors and hues to attract attention. Make them bold and you can use mediums such as watercolors, paints, acrylics, oils, or even just simple coloring pencils.
These are a few tips on how to make psychedelic art. Psychedelic art is an art but it more than that. It has been a means of communication and a means of expression of feelings. During the times when it was hard to express opinion and practice individuality, psychedelic art was a very helpful tool in conveying simple messages.
When you eagerly want to know how to make psychedelic art, please keep in mind that it is not all about beauty and the visual impact. The secret of making a very good psychedelic art is if you can convey the message that you want to tell your audience. You can’t go wrong in creating psychedelic art. The very heart of psychedelic art is it is an expression of the spirit.