Learning how to grow your own magic mushroom is easy and super rewarding. You can also enjoy numerous advantages if you know how to grow your very own magic mushrooms. One of the advantages that you will definitely appreciate is that it eliminates the risk of misidentifying mushrooms and eating poisonous dried shrooms. Also, cultivating your very own magic mushroom can help you save a lot of money. It is a low-cost hobby that is both fun and exciting to do.
There are several important factors that you need to consider for you to successfully grow your magic mushrooms. You can choose to buy magic mushroom grow kits that include living mycelium substrate or you can make your own substrate. Preparing substrate for your magic mushrooms is also an easy thing to do. You should be able to do it without needing any special tools and equipment.
The advantage of preparing your own substrate for your magic mushrooms is that it is more consistent. You are also reducing contamination if you know how to prepare your own substrate. There is indeed a huge difference between buying magic mushroom grow kits and preparing your own substrate. But then again, it is essential that you know how to prepare a good substrate. The substrate needs to be prepared properly. If you are searching for tips and easy to follow guidelines on how to prepare the substrate for your magic mushrooms, then you are going to love this article.
First and foremost, let us define what substrate is. Basically, a substrate is a bulk material that can provide energy and nutrition to your magic mushrooms. You will undoubtedly be able to harvest healthy and great quality magic mushrooms if you have a good substrate. If you look on the web, you will discover that common recipes for the substrate is composed of hardwood sawdust and even straws. Of course, there are many other options to choose from. Start preparing your substrate by adding water and then followed by additional nutrition. It is also necessary that you learn the process of pasteurizing and sterilizing your substrate.
Here are the Things You Need to Do When Preparing Your Substrate
- Gather your materials and prepare your recipe. Make sure that you do your homework and find out what is the best recipe for the magic mushroom substrate. Apart from using straws or hardwood sawdust, you can also use brown rice.
- The next thing that you need to do is add water and make sure that you know the ratio. Let’s say you are using vermiculite and brown rice. You need to add 1 part of the water in every 1 part of brown rice. If you search online, you will find magic mushroom growers who are adding worm castings to their substrate. Worm castings are also great since it fills your substrate with nutritious trace minerals.
- It is important that you mix the magic mushroom substrate properly.
- It is also essential that you choose the right jars or containers. Consider the amount of substrate you are going to use when choosing a jar. Be sure that your jar or the container is clean.
- You will then poke about 4 to 6 holes in the lids of your container or jar. Use a sharp knife when poking holes. You will then cover it with a layer of aluminum. Remember not to put any lid on top of the jars or containers but put at least 3 layers of aluminum foil on it.
- Make sure that you wipe off all moisture that you find outside and inside the container or jar.
Sterilizing Your Magic Mushroom Substrate
- After preparing your fresh new substrate, the next thing that you need to do is to sterilize it. It is essential that you sterilize your substrate in order for your magic mushrooms to grow rapidly and healthily. In this step, you need to make sure that you get a pressure cooker and pan coaster.
- Then you need to place the pan coaster into the bottom of the pressure cooker. You will then add water into the pressure cooker and make sure that the jar or the container is completely submerged in the water.
- You will then heat the pressure cooker. Let it steam for about 40 to 60 minutes. Make sure that you have your time with you.
- After an hour, you will then turn off the heat and take the container or jar out from the pressure cooker.
Why Sterilize or Pasteurize My Substrate?
Magic mushroom substrates are moisty. We all know that bacteria and molds love to thrive in moisty conditions. We don’t want to contaminate our substrate but we want to make sure that it is free from any contaminants. Contaminants can hinder the growth and development of your magic mushrooms.
After sterilizing your magic mushroom substrate, it is advisable that you let the jar cool down overnight. You will then inoculate your magic mushroom substrate. Inoculation may sound intimidating and complicated, but such process is basically adding spores into your sterilize substrate. This allows your magic mushrooms to latch and develop.
Additional Points to Remember
It is also essential that you search for advice from experienced magic mushroom growers on how to prepare the substrate. Remember that there are different methods for preparing your substrate. Try to explore other ideas or concepts and not just focus on one method. The goal is to make sure that your magic mushrooms will be able to grow and develop healthily. There are a lot of magic mushroom experts that you can meet online. Try to contact them or send them a message. Don’t be shy to ask for advice regarding preparing or making your very own substrate.
The key to successful magic mushroom cultivation is research. It is not good that you just stick with one idea but you also have to explore other options. Exploring and experimenting different substrate recipe will help you become an expert or an advance magic mushroom grower.